Saturday, November 1, 2014

November '14 Mark Twain


Today's the day our book club officially begins!

MARK TWAIN
The Mysterious Stranger
Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn
The Prince and the Pauper

***

I just finished reading the first two chapters of Tom Sawyer... and can't wait to keep reading! The whitewashing fence story made me laugh:) Unfortunately I need to do some laundry first! 

Someone had a good thought... that if we cannot find or have already read the four titles that are provided under the month's author, we can read another of their novels, or simply find another classic that was written around that time period. Why not?! That way we can sneak some Jane Austen in there! 

What are you reading? 

We have a few others that have expressed interest in joining us:)

Auntie Bev
Connor
Evan
Chelsea

PS- The photo was taken from the Astoria Column in Astoria, Oregon! Send me some pictures from your albums and I will use them each month! 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a few chapters into "The Prince and the Pauper" and am really enjoying it so far (obviously because it is set in one of my favourite time period: Tudor-era London). Hope everyone's reading is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I am looking forward to reading that one too. The Tudor Era was when the Globe Theatre was built, wasn't it?! Do you enjoy reading from the point of view of higher classes in that era, or lower classes? From what I understand there wasn't a very prominant middle class!
      I am loving Tom Sawyer- he is such a mischevious, but usually well meaning little kid. It's amazing what high value the kids (and maybe the adults in that time?) placed on superstitions.

      Delete
    2. I didn't know that "The Prince and the Pauper" was "about" Edward VI until you mentioned it Chelsea, definitely on my to-read list now!! Shanna, I too am noticing how much Huckleberry Finn and others in the book believe in superstitions. I wonder if that is representative of the time and demographic (look at me using fancy words..) or just a Mark Twain thing?

      Delete
    3. Yes the Globe was built in the late-Tudor period during the reign of Elizabeth I (1599), but this book is set about 50 years earlier in 1547 during the transition from Henry VIII to Edward VI (EDWARD <3) so sadly there will be no Shakespeare appearances in the book! The division between the classes are certainly evident so far, but I don't think I'm far enough into the story to say which perspective I prefer. Most of the Tudor-era books I have read in the past have been from the perspective of the upper-case/Royal class, so it is very interesting to gain more understanding for the other side of society.

      Delete