Friday, October 17, 2014

Old classics book club!


       I have this card game, and it hangs out at Mom and Dad's where it is rarely played! It made a comeback at Thanksgiving this year. The game uses well known authors such as Louisa May Alcott, Edgar Allen Poe, Lord Alfred Tennyson, etc. - a different author for each number (Ace through King), and is played like Go Fish. (We say "go to the library" because it seems more fitting!) Therefore, each author is represented by four of their greatest works, one for hearts, spades, diamonds, clubs. 

Of all the 52 different books, I have only read 6! Little Women, Little Men, The Scarlet Letter, Romeo and Juliet, The Tempest, and Hamlet. 

       Mom and I have decided to form our own little informal book club! We'll try to read a different book each month, and use the deck of cards as a guide. 

       We will start in November with Mark Twain, and choose between The Mysterious Stranger, Tom Sawyer, The Prince and the Pauper, and Huckleberry Finn. We've decided we don't need to read the same book! I will choose whatever is in at the library! The following month we'll read something by Charles Dickens as he is the #2 card!

       We are not too big into discussing themes and irony, satire and character development... so won't have monthly meetings or a discussion forum or anthing, but will just use the comments on my blog to keep in touch regarding the status of our reading!

       We invite you, my faithful readers, to join us! What about you, Karmen? No pressure!

       Hope you had a good day wherever you are:) 

11 comments:

  1. That's funny... Do you have a magical blog that knows who's reading, or have I been singled out?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's magic I tell you!!! But it only reveals it's magic to select people... So count yourself lucky:)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You should join us! Although you've probably already read everything haha

      Delete
    2. Haha not even close! I'm definitely joining!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like fun! I'm in. :) (This is Naomi - in case you're not sure)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason, my computer won't let me comment on the newer blog post. Anyway, I'm a little preoccupied with studying right now, but I definitely want to hear about your progress! And I may sneak in a little later... :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh weird! Wow.... the end must be in sight now?! But at least you enjoy what you are studing! Good luck with it!! Awesome... better late than never:)

      Delete